With over 300 million active monthly users, Twitter is a great place to grow your small business. Did you know that 500 million tweets are sent every day? And did you know that the average lifespan of one tweet is about 18 minutes?
Don’t worry, you don’t need to feel intimidated by this fast-paced network.
We’ve put together 7 powerful Twitter marketing tips to help you implement an effective Twitter marketing strategy that actually works to get results on the platform.
Tips for an Effective Twitter Marketing Strategy
1. Build an Attractive Profile
Let’s start with the basics of your business’s Twitter marketing strategy. To make a memorable first impression, pay attention to your username and profile. Let’s examine some elements that you should consider in your bio to reinforce your brand and inform audiences.
- Handle: This is usually the name of your business, and it’s how audiences can find you on Twitter. Keep the handle consistent across all social media accounts and keep it short and sweet so that it’s easy for customers to recall.
- Profile Image: Your Twitter profile picture is the face of your business. It represents your brand, and it will appear every time you send out a tweet, so you mustn’t leave it blank. For businesses, it’s best to use a logo. However, if you are a professional, a professional photo of you is best.
- Background Image: The background image is equally important as it can reflect current campaigns or offer an insight into your company culture. It can be updated or changed more often than your profile photo, for instance, when you want to draw attention to a new product or a promotional campaign.
- Location: Providing a location will make your profile feel more real and personal. This is especially vital for businesses with physical locations as you want costumers to be able to find you offline. If you’re a global business, including the location of your headquarters can add more credibility.
- Website: Paste here a page where you want to drive customers to. This could be your homepage or a URL during unique campaigns and events. Make sure to include a strong call-to-action!
- Bio: Twitter Bio is capped at 160 characters, so, keep it snappy and engaging. As long as the section conveys what your brand is about, don’t hesitate to have fun with the bio. Show off your brand’s personality with a consistent and original tone through taglines and slogan.
This may sound obvious, but make sure that your setting isn’t set to private. You want to be sure that your profile is public!
2. Make Use of Social Listening
Social listening is a form of searches on social media platforms where you pay close attention to what Internet users say about your business or specific keywords and hashtags in your industry. It is a beneficial yet underutilized feature of a Twitter marketing strategy that can serve for lead generation.
With the help of relevant keywords, you can find out who is talking about your brand, your products or services, or the problems they solve, allowing you to get to know them better and interact.
Don’t just talk, but also listen. Pay attention to the conversations happening on Twitter to gain insight into your community and customers. Through active social listening, you can learn about your competition, relevant trending topics, industry hashtags and buzzwords, and discussions to refine your messaging.
3. Create Engaging Content
Engaging with your audience is key to a successful Twitter marketing strategy. In fact, Twitter has been designed to help connect with people on a personal level.
Use the 3:1 rule when posting on Twitter – 75% of your posts should be information useful to your target audience while only 25% should promote your services. After all, it’s all about building trust and positioning your brand as a leader in your respective industry.
Although Twitter is not as creative as Instagram and Facebook, you could run Twitter Polls. It’s a fun and straightforward way to engage your audience, initiate conversation, as well as gathers feedback and opinions from them.
Furthermore, you could join Twitter chats to make lasting connections with other like-minded individuals. Be an active participant by responding to them, retweeting items the forum would appreciate and thank people for sharing useful content. The key is to cultivate relationships.
Additionally, use multimedia to drive more engagement. It’s believed that videos can be retweeted six times more than images and texts. This method is ideal for product launches of campaigns.
Above all, don’t forget to schedule your tweets for optimal post times! Certain studies offer insights on the most optimal posting times. However, the best way is to monitor the performance of your posts and your analytics. They will provide the most optimal times specific to your business.
4. Use Hashtags
Tweets with relevant hashtags and keywords receive two times more engagement than those without. Hashtags allow the Twitter algorithm to classify your content with related content and display it in relevant searches. It helps to drive traffic to your account, posts, and website organically.
Add a couple of relevant hashtags so that your target audience can find your account when they search for terms relevant in your industry. But don’t overdo it. While more hashtags can improve your reach on Instagram, it’s not the same on Twitter. Having too many hashtags can actually lower your reach. So, aim for two hashtags per post.
5. Run a Twitter Ad Campaign
Advertising on Twitter can help you promote your products, drive traffic to your website, and grow your audience. You can target ads to selective audiences and quickly learn which campaign is more effective. You can get detailed insights such as cost per action and other metrics on Analytics and optimize your ad campaign accordingly.
6. Track Your Analytics
Don’t just implement and forget. Actively keep track of metrics such as tweet performance, engagement rate, brand follower growth, and similar, to help you decide whether you’re reaching your business goals or not.
For a successful Twitter marketing strategy, continuously evaluate, adjust, and improve. If you want to get a little more sophisticated with your social media data, you can implement UTM parameters to understand exactly how people navigate your website, measure the ROI, and so much more.
UTM are extensions to your links that the Twitter platform, as well as other advertising platforms, add to provide accurate metrics on campaign performance.
7. Reach Out to Twitter Influencers
Last but not least, do some research to discover the influencers in your industry and offer them to promote your business in their tweets. They have the power to to create an impact with just a post.
Keep in mind that influencers change for such services. So, you should have an influencer budget as well as know how much influencers in your industry charge so that you can compensate them fairly and gain a positive return on our investment at the same time.
Twitter is one of the best places to generate leads. Although a tweet has a short lifespan, by implementing these marketing tips into your Twitter marketing strategy, you can create personal connections with your target audience and boost the visibility and performance of your business.